Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, CERB may provide you with temporary income support. If you need assistance applying, please contact us for a consultation.
This is a $2000/month taxable benefit for up to 16 weeks between March 15 and October 3, 2020, for workers who lose their income as a result of COVID-19
- Applications will are now live and the program can be accessed
- Funds expected to be direct deposited into bank accounts within 3 -5 business days, or 10 business days if no direct deposit
- Payment to be made every 4 weeks
- For those individuals who have no income as a result of COVID-19
- Available to those individuals who have no income because:
- Lost their job
- Are sick/quarantined or taking care of someone who is sick
- Working parents that must stay home without pay because of children who are sick, or because of school/daycare closures
- Others who may not otherwise be eligible for EI, but have lost their income
- These benefits will be TAXABLE, so expect a slip for the income to be claimed on your 2020 tax return.
- Applies to wage earners, contract workers & self-employed individuals who wouldn't be eligible for EI
- Any resident of Canada who is 15 years old or older and for 2019 or in the 12 month period preceding the day on which you make an application has total income of at least $5000 from:
- Self employment
- EI Maternity Benefits
- EI Parental Benefits
- Dividend income from non-eligible dividends
- Your current income less than $1000/month.
- You were collecting CPP/OAS and had a job to supplement your income. Receipt of CPP/OAS does not make you ineligible
- You were a seasonal worker who now does not have a job to return to
- Your EI has run out since Jan 1, 2020
- You are not eligible if you are currently collecting EI.