The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) provides a 75% wage subsidy to eligible employers. If you need assistance applying, please contact us for a consultation.
- Canadian Business - Taxable Corporation, Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Charity, or Not for Profit
- Public Bodies are not eligible
- To qualify, you must demonstrate that your revenues in March fell by 15%, and April and May revenues have dropped by at least 30% as a result of COVID-19
- The period of revenue comparison is either over the same period last year or vs. the average of January and February of this year
- The second comparison metric was designed to address those businesses that are start ups, or have been in high growth mode
- NOT driven by number of employees
- NOT driven by size of payroll
- Applies to existing or new arm's length employees
- For employees who are non-arms length to the business (ie, owners, shareholders, family members), the maximum amounts that can be claimed will be determined by pre-crisis salaries paid to these individuals.
- The non-arms length individuals must also have been on payroll prior to March 15th
- It is not mandatory for the business to pay the remaining 25% of the wage, however it must be attested that every effort was made to do so.
- It does not matter if the business has closed its doors or is still operating.